8/13/2007

What the name of the blog means.....

What does the name of your blog mean? Why did you choose it?? Let me answer those questions as best I can....

First off, here's the scripture verse:


"But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead." Phillipians 3:7-11


I love this passage of scripture. I don't live it out the way I want to, but it's my goal. Now don't get me wrong, I don't want to lose everything....but if that's what has to happen for me to gain Christ, then I want to do that. This verse speaks of a very noble and lofty goal that many of us as Christians aspire to, but do we really realize what it is to lose everything? I know I don't. I live an amazingly blessed life....I live in a beautiful house (and have a sweet little apartment in MS), I have way more clothes then I need, I can eat at will, and I've never known the feeling of being completely alone. I have wonderful friends and family, who I love dearly, and a bright future ahead of me. Would I be willing to give all that up for Christ? I'm not talking about giving it up with pomp and circumstance, so that everyone would know what a great Christian I am. I'm talking about putting it away quietly, without ceremony, if Christ asked me to. In my own strength I couldn't do that, and would never want to....and I wonder sometimes if it would even bring glory to Christ for me to give up everything....but would I if he asked me to?

Since giving everything up for Christ is something that I constantly struggle with, it made sense to make that goal the title of this blog. Every problem that I have seems to come down to me having to let go of my wants, and turn everything over to Christ. As you read about my struggles, perhaps you'll see me move closer to my goal....and if I don't seem to be moving closer to my goal, perhaps you can give me a push in the right direction.

Well, I'm tired...and guess what?!?! I'm sleeping in my apartment tonight!! I'll try and post some pictures and details about the place tomorrow!

-Julie

3 comments:

Carol Wilson said...

Dear Julianna,

This is a beautiful blog title, and a wonderful description of its meaning. May God bless your new life in Mississippi, and your dancing for his glory.
Carol

Anonymous said...

Dear Julie,
I am sooo glad that everything is going so well. I am really excited for you:). God is going to use you in amazing ways!!! Wonderful choice of a blog title.
Love you,
Kel

jennifer said...

Ah, dear friend, you are on such a wonderful journey in your faith. Never doubt yourself, okay? As humans, we are imperfect and the Lord recognizes our attempts to follow Him, even when they feel feeble to us. You're right... you are very blessed. But you take every opportunity to share that blessing through your witness. When I think of a "good and faithful servant" you instantly come to mind. Be strong in your walk!