8/18/2007

Church

I miss my church! One of the weirdest things about moving is going to church and not knowing anyone there. For as long as I can remember, church has been a stable, familiar part of my life. It's really strange to walk into a church and not know anyone....I'm really hoping that the Lord shows me where to go soon, because I really want to start getting involved. I want to help with the children's minister...maybe the music ministry...and I'd LOVE to go to a bible study. I know I'll be busy, but I think that those things are worth making time for. So anyway, with Sunday morning fast approaching, I thought I'd share my "church criteria" with you all.

This is the list I made to help me find a church. I'm looking for a church with these qualities...and once I find a few that meet my standards, I'm praying that the Lord will direct me to the right one.

#1 The church MUST be based on the Bible. The pastor and leaders must believe that the Bible is the unchanging word of the Lord. They must treat the Bible as the absolute authority on any issue. Also, the pastor must preach his sermons based on the Word, not on his own wisdom.

#2 The church must value worship. A good bible-based sermon is important, but it needs a good worship service to go with it. Corporate worship is SO important, and it should take up a bit of time in the service. I want the church to be full of people that can't stand still when they worship! Jumping, dancing, raising hands...those are all important expressions of worship, and should be exercised at the leading of the Spirit.

#3 The church must have a good governmental structure. A church with only a pastor, and no board or elders to keep him in check is asking for trouble.

#4 A good church should have a well-rounded mix of members. I would really like to see young children, teens, young adults, young parents, middle age people, empty-nesters, grandparents and even great grandparents all in the same service, worshiping together. The reason that is so important to me is that it signifies a growing and healthy church. Also, it gives me people to minister to (the young crowd) and people to be ministered to by (the older crowd).

#5 The church must believe in the gift, and use of the Holy Spirit. I honestly don't know a whole lot about the Holy Spirit and how he works....and I think I need to learn. Where else would I learn other then church? Sure some churches miss use the name of the Holy Spirit for personal gain, but there are people that use the power of the Spirit for the glory of Christ. I want to learn what that's all about.

#6 I want a church where I can plug in, and start giving back. I don't want to be a leech...I can't just go on Sunday mornings and call it good, I want to be a contributor!


Anyway, those are the things that I think are important in a church. So I guess I'll have to keep looking around until I find one. Last week I went to a church that meets #2, #4, #5 and #7 but not #1, #3 or #6. So its 4 and 3....The Lord could still call me there, and I'm still praying about it, so we'll see. This week I'm going to a "charismatic baptist church" with one of my roommates, so well see how it goes! I'm just looking forward to going to church...! The Catholics are onto something with having church everyday....that'd be SO amazing. Well, when B. Mag starts up for the season, we'll have chapel and bible study everyday, so that'll be awesome....and then I'll have church on Sunday, so if I can find somewhere to worship on Saturday, I'll be all set!


Hope you all have a wonderful weekend, and Sunday at all your churches! Love yah!

-Julie

No comments: