8/21/2007

His mercies are new EVERY morning!

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.....I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength......And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus. Phillipians 4:4-7;11-13;19


Our God is good. You know that? He is amazing.

So I have a fun story to tell you...Remember how I was supposed to start work yesterday? Well, I got there, and started filing out tax forms and everything, and the lady that was supervising me all the sudden got a funny look on her face and said, "Baby, are you only 17?"

"Yeahh..." I replied.

"Well sugar, I don't think we can hire anyone younger then 18...but let me check with the manager that hired you."

*A few minutes later*

The manager walks in, "You're 17?? Are you sure? You don't look like it, and you don't sound like it...are you sure?

"Umm...yes...I'm sure."

The manager calls in three more people, at which point they're all staring at me and exchanging glances.

"She's 17?"

"No way!"

"She sounds much older."

"Are you sure she's only 17?"

They inspect my paperwork, driver's license and application, "Oh my heavens," the manager said, "you are 17! Well, I am so sorry darlin', you don't look 17 and you don't act 17, so I didn't even look at your age on the application! I'm so sorry, but you can't work here until you turn 18....but baby, you're a rare find these days, and I hate to lose you, so please come back on your birthday!"

So with that, I headed out the door. I got to my car and began to think...hmmm...what am I going to do now? So, I called my darling mother and asked her to pray, then I ran home, threw on a skirt and some high heels, and headed off to apply for more jobs. I filled out 7 or 8 apps. and had several interviews that afternoon....and I even had three job offers...but they were all retail jobs. There's nothing wrong with retail, but they wanted me to be working during Thanksgiving and or Christmas....and there is no way that I'm doing that! On top of that, the jobs didn't have very flexible hours, and paid minimum wage ($5.85 in MS). So anyway, I decided to pray about the job offers, and decided to go home to think it over....

On my way home, I passed a little bagel shop and thought, "oh, maybe I should apply there." But to be honest, I was too tired and grumpy to fill out another application. I got a little ways passed the shops when the Lord said quietly, "go apply to that shop."

"No!" I replied (why in the world would I ever say that to the one who created the world? I am so stupid sometimes!) "I'm tired, and I'm grouchy, and I want to go home and relax....I'm sick of filling out apps.....I need a job...Lord, what are you doing? I know that you aren't going to leave me empty handed...."

"Go apply."

"Fine Lord, I'll do it..." I grumbled as I turned my little white Saturn around and trudged toward the shop. I walked in, asked for an application, and as I was filling out my name and number, the lady at the counter said, "hey, there's the manager, go talk to her." So I went over, introduced myself, and told her I was looking for a job.

"Really?" She said, eyes lighting up, "write down what hours you can work."

I wrote them down.

"Oh my goodness, those are exactly the hours I need covered! I've been looking for someone just like you! You're hired."

My mouth hit the floor. The Lord worked things out...again....no suprise, eh?

So this morning I went to work (at 5:45 in the morning!) and learned what to do. It's so much fun! I really enjoy it! I love my co-workers...and I'm getting paid more then minimum wage! It's such a blessing. Not to mention that I can have time off for the holidays....and any other time I go home.

God is good.

So anyway, I went to devotions at B. Mag after work (they have live music, prayer time and scripture reading EVERY day!). It was such a blessing. It was so refreshing to just spend time with the Lord in live worship! It's one thing to worship with a CD, but it's so awesome to have live music.

Anyway, I hope y'all have a good day!

-Julie

No comments: