8/25/2007

Amy Carmichael

Well, some of you know about my fascination with this amazing woman of God, but for those of you that don't, here's a little background.

"Amy Beatrice (a.k.a. Wilson) Carmichael (December 16, 1867–January 18, 1951) was a Protestant Christian missionary in India, who opened an orphanage and founded a mission in Dohnavur. She served in India for fifty-five years without furlough and authored many books about the missionary work there." -Wikipedia

That is a VERY short paragraph that doesn't nearly do justice to the amazing life that Amy lead, however, I'll leave it at that for the sake of time.

Anyway, because of how Amy Carmichael lived, she has always been one of my biggest heroes and role models. This summer, I read a book written by her entitled, "If".

One of the quotes that stood out to me is as follows:

"If a sudden jar can cause me to speak an impatient or unkind word, then I know nothing of Calvary's love. For a cup full of sweet water cannot spill even one drop of bitter water, no matter how sharply it is jolted."

Isn't that fascinating? I mean, how many of us have spoken with impatience or anger at someone who hurts us, interrupts us, or annoys us? I know I have. But look at what Amy is saying....we should be SO full of the love of Christ, that no matter what happens to anger/annoy us, all that should spill over is that love. What an amazing goal to set for oneself! To be so full of Christ that there is no possibility of anything else spilling over....

Jesus, that is my heart's desire...to be so full of you that there is room for nothing else. Please Lord, let everything else fall away...so that you are the only thing that remains.

-Julie

No comments: