3/08/2008

Waiting vs. Trusting

God is good. Can I get an amen??

Here I am, slightly annoyed that his plans aren't the ones I had in mind.....and WHAM, I got hit with a spiritual sledge hammer. There are some that say that God is always gentle, and that he only whispers, but I beg to differ. For those of us with heads made of steel, and a will stronger then that, the sledge hammer approach has to be used.

I was "waiting" on God for my future....honestly, I thought I had approached everything right. I was thinking, "okay, here are my plans, and I'm waiting for God to do this."

WRONG.

You see, what I've learned is that waiting and trusting are two different things. Waiting isn't bad, to the contrary, it's a very good thing. Trusting and waiting just look different depending on the circumstances. When you wait on God, you have a goal in mind, and you wait for God to bring you to that goal. When you trust in God, you trust that though you don't know, he has a goal, and he will bring that about.

What I need to do is TRUST God for my future.....well, for everything really. I need to trust that he has a plan, and that his plan is best, instead of waiting for him to come around to my way of thinking.

I realize that I was trying to honor God with my approach. My heart was in the right place, but my thought process was wrong. My goal (wanting to go to school), is not wrong, but I neglected to lay that down before Jesus. I just assumed that he wanted what I wanted. I also assumed that he'd do things in my timing (I'd rather go to school now, while I'm young, instead of waiting until I'm older.)


Does that make sense? My heart was willing to go wherever God wanted me, but my mind had over analyzed everything.

Moral of the story: Trust in the LORD with all you heart and lean NOT on your own understanding. In ALL your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen! God IS Good - All the Time. A quote from the Experiencing God Study we did last week seems to parallel your thoughts: Don't Just Do Something - Stand There.

Often times it is much easier to "do something" than it is to stand there and wait on God.

I look forward to seeing you soon.

Pastor Steve