3/05/2008

Commitment vs. Surrender

Hey all!

We're learning about this in Bible study, and I think it's such an awesome perspective, so I thought I'd share my thoughts:


What is the difference between commitment and surrender?? How does that apply to your (my) walk with Christ? Here are some things you "commit" to.

1. Diet

2. School

3. Exercise

4. Job


What do all those things have in common?? You have control. You choose what to commit to. When you commit to something, you are relying on your own strength to hold to whatever you've chosen.

Now think about surrender. When you hear the word surrender it's usually in the context of:

1. War

2. Property

3. Law

What do these have in common? You have no control. You must give up your right to choose because there is an authority more powerful then your own. Surrender means giving up the power to choose. Surrender means laying down your rights, and giving someone else complete control.


Now think about that in the context of your Christian life. I "commit" to reading my Bible.....then I fail....why? Because I'm trying to hold to it in my own strength. I commit my life to Jesus....and I stray.....why? Because I'm using my own power to make it come about. When you surrender your life, when you surrender your heart and mind to Jesus, you're relinquishing control. You're giving up your right to choose, and giving Him lordship over your life. When you surrender, Jesus is in control and you live like Him by His power, not your own.

So which would you rather? Commitment or surrender? If you commit to Jesus, then you have the power. The power to succeed, the power to fail....and ultimately, you're not going to be able to reach his standard on your own. If you surrender to Jesus then the ball is in his court. He calls the shots, he makes the decisions, all you have to do is follow. He will never fail, he will never fall short.....surrendering to Jesus, giving up the power you have over your own life is not only necessary, but it's freeing.

"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery." Galatians 5:1

1 comment:

bajo said...

So where would your relationship with a loved one come into this? If you commit to your spouse, it's a 50-50 deal.

If you surrender to your spouse ... well, that sounds pretty unconditional!

Love, Daddy-O