1/13/2008

The will of God

How do you hear the voice of God? How do you know beyond a shadow of a doubt what he's telling you? What happens if you hear him wrong?


My problem is that I always think that God wants the opposite of what I want. I'm not sure why that is, because so far, everything he's asked me to do has been right in line with what I've wanted. I guess in some ways I must be waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'm so concerned about doing his will.......I'll get to the point where I'm pretty sure I know what to do.....but there's this thought in the back of my mind that contradicts what I think I'm supposed to do.....so I wait. I don't like the anxiety this creates. I want to be completely sure of what I'm supposed to do.

I've always been taught that whatever God says needs to line up with scripture, prayer, circumstance and advice from trusted Christian friends. Here's the problem: it's not something that scripture talks about, my prayers are bringing more confusion then clarity, the circumstances could be taken either way and the trusted Christians in my life all have different opinions.

I'm so lost.

I'd really appreciate your prayers. I WANT to do God's will....but if he were to write it out for me, would I listen? I hope so....I'd want to....but how can I know his will? Should I know? Is it best for me to just wait? I don't know.

One thing I do know is that I need to, "Rejoice always, give thanks in all circumstances and pray without ceasing; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." 1 Thess 5:16-18

3 comments:

Liz said...

We'll be praying Julie, we've all been there at one time or another. :-) Sometimes we only get enough vision of God's will for today...

Anonymous said...

You are always in my prayers!
This will all pass in His time, in His way. God knows what you feel...

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." Philippians 4:6

Anonymous said...

Have you heard the recent release by "Rush of Fools"? It's called Can't Get Away. The lyrics express the idea that God continually directs us to Himself and His will. I love the imagery in this song and the way it expresses the truth of Romans 8:28. I'm learning that we won't miss God's will if we are earnestly seeking it. After all, He is the good shepherd and He understands that we are simple sheep in need of His guidance. In nautical terms you could say - keep your rudder in the water and He will do the steering. I hope all is going well for you today.
Love ya,
Mom