4/05/2008

Tornado

Yesterday we had a HUGE storm here in Jackson. The storm came at about noon, and lasted until about 1:30. I was at Ballet Mag. studios at the time. The power went out, the sky turned green, and we all sat in the hallway waiting for it to blow over. I've never been afraid of storms (actually, they fascinate me) so I watched a little bit of it from the windows of the studio (until some well meaning friends made me go somewhere a little safer). It was awesome......The winds swirled at a fantastic speed, the leaves were caught up as in some crazed dance, and the trees even joined in, swaying in an uncomfortable circular motion.......Okay, so that's a bit dramatized....but it was cool. The tornado came right past the studio.....but thanks to the Lord, no one was hurt, none of the cars were damaged, nothing on the building was shaken. However, half a mile away...."Some 80-100 vehicle windows were blown out at Watson Quality Ford on I-55 frontage road just south of County Line Road in Jackson on Friday."(Clarion Ledger-local paper). God is good, amen??

I really do love storms. First, I love the huge noises, chaotic sights, and fresh smells brought in by a storm. It reminds me so much of the Lord. We think that we have pretty amazing technology....we can "raise" the dead......we can "create" new life....we can "heal" the sick....we can "do" so much by our "own" power.....but no one can claim to do anything to the weather! Only Jesus Christ, the Son of the Living God, can do anything to a storm. We are rendered powerless in a storm, while all he has to do is speak one word, and all is calm. What a good reminder of how little power we have over anything.

Here are some pictures of the damage:





Some 92,000 were out of power (including me!). Restaurants, grocery stores, gas stations, movie theaters....and everything else came to a grinding halt without electricity. It was a little frustrating.....I like my conveniences like everyone else . But at the same time, I love to see God's power displayed in such a tangible way. All this chaos, and he still holds it in the palm of his hands.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
bajo said...

Looks like you've got a hitchiker on your comment log - can you rub out his comment?

Did we ever tell you the story about how Mom drove through like the only tornado that ever hit Albuquerque?

Love, Daddy-O