4/07/2008

Prayer

Prayer is an amazing thing. The Lord's been teaching me a lot about it lately. We're studying it in Ballet Mag. bible study....and I've been studying it on my own for a while now too.

"This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have what we asked of him." 1 John 5:14-15

How true that is. When we pray according to the Lord's will....nothing can stop it from happening. I've seen it time and time and time again.

I love to pray, the Lord's been teaching me SO much about it....I see SO many results from it...yet, honestly, I still fail to give it the time and attention it should have in my life. I know that when we pray, things happen. I know that God hears me....I know that he speaks to my heart and gives me specific things/people to pray for....so why do I consistently put it at the end of my list?

What....are my friends, my roommates, my family...more important then the Creator of heaven and earth? How many times have I spent an afternoon pouring out my frustrations and problems and pains to those that have NO control? Why do I do that? I should be going to my Father, who knows what to do, and how to fix every problem I encounter. I should have a humble, sweet, patient spirit....but instead I'm trapped in this stupid overly dramatic, girly, emotional ridiculousness. It's frustrating. Most of you would love to tell me that I'm "doing great" but don't. I know where I fall short, and it's time for me to stop making excuses for myself.

"If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My disciples. Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love. If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love." John 15:8-10

Okay. That makes it simple. I need to abide in Him. I'm getting better at it...but I have a LONG way to go. Thankfully, the Lord is patient, and he never gets tired of teaching me. What a good God we serve! He is awesome. He is slow to anger and abounding in amazing, wonderful, incomprehensibly steadfast love.

1 comment:

bajo said...

Amen Julie. As we have been working through the Experiencing God study, I have been reminded of the importance of prayer. God cares more about our relationship with Him than about what we do for Him. Prayer - two-way relationship.

Love, Daddy-O