2/03/2008

18th Birthday

Yesterday was my 18th birthday. It was amazing! Now I did missed my family and friends back home, but I think this was my favorite birthday so far. I had SO much fun! I worked for the first half of the day, and then spent a leisurely afternoon getting dressed up, and then went out with my amazing friends to a beautiful Italian restaurant in Madison. It was just one of those evenings that's almost too good to be true. The whole day really.......I was swarmed with cards and packages and phone calls from all of the people back home......I don't know if I've ever felt so loved! At the end of the day, when I was getting into bed, I just sat and thought about all the people the Lord has blessed me with. I have so many wonderful friends here, and many others at home, and all of them have played very special roles in my life. I am so humbled by all of you, thank you for making the day SO wonderful.

Everyone always asks you if you "feel any different" on your birthday.....and I usually say no, but I kind of did this time. I feel grown up. It didn't happen over night, it's been a process over the last six months (I've lived in MS for 6 months.....wow.) It's not something that I can tell is happening, but when I look back to where I was in August, and see where I am now, I see a huge difference. Sure I was paying bills and working and dancing and running my own life a few days ago, but turning 18 signifies a change in my own perception of life. I feel like when I came here I was a scared, confused, little girl......but through the last few months, I've seen myself transition into a confident, calm young adult. Most of you may not see that (Mom and Dad maybe).....but I sure do. It's amazing to me to see how little I knew about life when I got here, and how much I've learned. The Lord has taught me so much about trust, hope, patience, humility, compassion, understanding, truth, generosity, hospitality, servitude.....the list goes on and on. God is SO good to me. I am in awe of how he has blessed me.

2 comments:

Morlock said...

Happy Birthday! Thanks for the phone call but Tremaine is in about 2 days! So when we get home I'll call you and tell how it went! Have fun being 18!!!! Jesus Loves You!

Love Allison :-)

bajo said...

Thank you for the pictures. It's a blessing to be able to see how you look at 18. :)

Love, Daddy-O