10/05/2008

The things of earth will grow strangely dim.....

.....in the light of his glory and grace.

Amen??

Why do we put so much hope in the things of this world?? Today the one that made an impression on me was the vanity of women. My goodness. Everyone at my church is dressed to the nines.....people hardly wear an outfit more then once......looking perfect is a good enough reason to be late to church.....what the heck?!?! There's something wrong with that.


It's not that I don't understand....I do. In and of myself, I'm in that race with everyone else. Who has the best hair? Who looks the cutest? Does she have the same shirt as me? Blah, blah, puke, blah.

However, because it is no longer I that live, but CHRIST lives in me, looking great is close to the bottom of my list. Women are so deceived. Why do we sacrifice time with the Lord, our attitude with our husbands, children, roommates and friends....and our God given resources, just to have something that doesn't matter? The Lord made women beautiful....period. All the extra frills and frivolous charms are vanity.

I'm not trying to be self righteous....really. I'm just frustrated. Ladies, if you want to be treated like more then just a pretty face.....then act like it! I'm all for looking pretty, it just can't be your focus. Getting angry over what you're wearing to church is just stupid. Who cares? God doesn't. If I ever get the chance to be a leader in a church, that's going to be a big deal to me. I want the elders to wear the same outfits (because they've given everything else to those in need). I don't want the worship team wearing all designer clothing (because the money could be better spent reaching the lost here and abroad). I don't want the youth group to shun kids that are wearing the WalMart brand jeans (because Jesus died for them just as much as he died for the Abercrombie model clones)......I don't want to create an atmosphere in which you feel ashamed to go to church if you don't have the latest and greatest! Women we should build each other up in the Lord, not compete for some imaginary title of "best looking girl at church."

Shame on us for that.

"And the things of earth will grow strangely dim in the light of his glory and grace."

4 comments:

Morlock said...

Wow. I'll try not to worry about what I wear again!
Hope your having fun at ballet mag!

Love, Allison :)

P.S.
aren't those the words from "turn your eyes upon Jesus", by vicky beeching???

:)

Jake Sinko said...

Julie, this is all so true...I too get p.o.ed about the whole "looking cool or super nice" for church thing...I can for sure see your passion about this :) I want you to know how much I appreciate you for who you are...You are pretty much a sister to me :) I hope we do go camping sometime! I miss going on trips and such with you guys...

P.S. I'll call you sometime this week...

Anonymous said...

I prefer my broom stick skirts to designer jeans anyways (more comfy and easier to move in ;)
~elfy child

Anonymous said...

I remember deciding at about your age not to wear makeup daily for many of the same reasons.Nonetheless, I enjoy dressing up on Sundays because I see it as a special time to meet with my Lord. My attire is for Him and not anyone else. However, next week we are having a woman's night at church and we are supposed to dress comfortably. I'm considering going in my robe;-0 What do you think. If not I'll for sure be in sweats and slippers.
Love ya,
Mom