10/17/2008

Consider my servant ______.

We've been talking about the names of God in my Bible study. This week we talked about "El Elyon" which translates "God most high". The names of God all speak to different attributes of his character.....they reveal him in different ways to us. I LOVE learning about this. I have this weird fixation on names. I love to find out what they mean, because many times they reveal a particular strength or character flaw in their bearer. When I have children I'm going to give them names that tell of the kind of person I want them to be. My parents did things that way (to some degree) and it's really cool.

Anyway, sorry, that was a bunny trail, that was not the point of this entry.

I wanted to talk about Job. Now, don't worry, I'm not going through anything terrible....usually that's when people fixate on his story.....I just find the way God is revealed in this story to be incredible. Take a look.

Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil."

Okay, stop. Look at who starts this conversation about Job. Satan doesn't want to pick on Job.....God brings him up. How amazing is that?? God, in his sovereignty knew that Job would stand up to what Satan was going to throw against him. HE KNEW. God wouldn't have said that if Job was going to fail....what a compliment!

What does that look like in my life?? When I face trials and hardships I'm tempted to ask why. This story makes it seem like that is DESIRABLE not only for the testing of my faith, but also because it shows that God knows that I will stand."Consider my servant Julie. There is no one on earth like her; she is blameless and upright, a woman who fears God and shuns evil." I want that to be true of me. What an amazing thing it would be to be complimented by the God of the universe....and for him to know and to trust you to stand....knowing all the while that your faith will bring him glory. That's not a prideful request. I want God to be glorified. I want him to know that I will stand against trials, for HIS namesake. It is for this very reason that the apostles in Acts 5 "left the Sanhedrin, rejoicing because they had been counted worthy of suffering disgrace for the Name." It is a privilege to suffer. It is a privilege to be one who God knows will stand.

Put your name in the blank...."Consider my servant ______." Does God think that you are worthy of suffering for his name? And when he does bring those trials, do you rejoice??

Love you all. Peace.

-Julie

2 comments:

Jake Sinko said...

Really weird...I am have my cell group guys go through Job now...This is so helpful and insightful...

Miss ya Julie!

Jeremy said...

I must be rubbing off on you...you haven't posted in almost 2 weeks. My bad...;)