5/12/2008

Surrender

So, I was thinking about the "stale state" of my Christianity....and I think these guys put into words what I've been beginning to realize.

"O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I’m constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above." -Robert Robinson

"He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed." -Peter the Apostle

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." -Jesus


"You can't do it. We can't draw closer to God by trying harder. "Pull it together" by letting it go...into the hands of God."-Jeremy

"Jeremy took the words right out of my mouth ... what he said ... and what He said."-Daddy


Thanks for the counsel. I am blessed to have wise men in my life.

I rely too much on my own ability to love the Lord....but it's His love that I need in order to love Him...you know? I have to surrender.

I LOVE being independent....I LOVE doing things on my own....it's partly my personality, and partly how I was raised. It can be a good thing, but in this situation it's not. I'm like the two year old trying to tie her own shoes. "I can do it myself Daddy!" But I can't. My shoes are on the wrong feet.....and the laces are dragging in the dirt.....I need His help.

So, I guess the task ahead is kind of a paradox. I must allow myself to be bound to Christ, and I have to let HIM be the one to do it. All my own striving won't work, only Jesus, only his mercy and grace will change me.

1 comment:

Jake Sinko said...

"I must allow myself to be bound to Christ, and I have to let HIM be the one to do it. All my own striving won't work, only Jesus, only his mercy and grace will change me."

-Nothing else needs to be said....Thanks for some very wise words...And yes, you are lucky to have awesome men of God in your life...