12/08/2007

Hymns

Each day at Ballet Magnificat we have a different person lead devotions. Mr. John led yesterday....and he is awesome! He plays mostly hymns, and then we spend a lot of time in prayer. Good stuff. I like almost any music that glorifies the Lord, but there's something really good about hymns. The words are SO deep and meaningful. In Christ Alone is my favorite (and yes, I know it was written recently). My other favorites are Be Still My Soul, Precious Lord Take my Hand, Great is Thy Faithfulness and Before the Throne.

I love how hymns teach theology. If a non Christian went to a "hymn sing" they would hear the message of salvation just as clearly as if they heard a sermon. Praise music and worship music also have their place. Sometimes I have days where all I can say is "holy, holy, holy." Jeremy and I were talking about this one time, and he pointed out that all types of music are scriptural:

"Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ." Ephesians 5:19-20

"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God." Colossians 3:16


Just something to think on: Musical preference has nothing to do with worship. Worship isn't about music.

Love,

Julie

P.S. This weather is RIDICULOUS! It's December 8th and 75 degrees.....I usually like warm weather, but this is annoying. It doesn't feel like Christmas at all! No good. I want to go back north to see the snow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We look forward to you sharing some time with us in the snow. We can also enjoy some hymns, choruses or even Christmas carols together!