11/22/2008

Life in the real world

Hey y'all.

Where to start? I haven't written in a while......which was actually intentional. There have been a million thoughts swirling all around and inside of me lately, and somehow I couldn't quite write any of them down.

Let's see. Work?? Work is good. I really enjoy my job. It DEFINITELY has good and bad days, but overall it's awesome. I love people watching (not the creepy kind! I just find humans fascinating, I like to study how people work). So anyway, being a server definitely lends itself to that. I have AMPLE opportunity to share about Jesus, I find myself talking about Him a lot, because there are always questions as to why I'm so different. I love talking to them about Jesus. I'm blessed with the ability to talk to people easily, making friends has never been a problem....and it's a very useful tool in evangelism. The Lord has really given me a heart for them....I want them to know Jesus! It's exciting....but not always that easy......

This is what I hate. It's SO EASY to become like them. The bad language, the coarse humor, the racism....it's much easier to join in then it is to resist. The fact of the matter is that it is exhausting to stand up for Jesus. Being in the "real world" is challenging. I've never been in THIS much of a secular enviroment before. Even last year, my boss was a "christian" and most of my coworkers were somewhat sympathetic to christianity. Not so with this crowd. There are many hurting people. Some involved in cults, some in homosexuality, some are single moms, some do drugs.....all of them get drunk on the weekends. It's funny how much they want to see me fail! They're waiting for the day that I cuss someone out, or take a cigarette, or sleep with one of our coworkers, or do ANYTHING....big or small.....that would make them feel better about their lifestyle. They want me to be okay with how they act....and it's hard to disagree in love! I either want to tell them that they're crazy, or I want to sweep it under the rug.....it's hard to stand for my values, but still relate to them and love them.

I have to be on my knees, I have to be in the Word.....or I would be easily swept away by the sin that surrounds me. Danielle (my roommate) is wonderful. It's really nice to have someone else their for moral support!

So, is it too late for me to say that I really feel for my friends that went through public school?? I never gave you guys enough credit. It's a hard thing to be immersed in all that crap everyday. I see now why many fell away....and I have a lot of respect for those of you that didn't.

I need more of you Jesus. More grace, more love, more strength, more passion, more self control, more ability to serve you.....to reach out to the lost.

Love,
Julie

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

Finally some respect for the Public Schoolers eh? You're doing such a good job at Chili's. It's exhausting, but our reward is in heaven, not on this earth. That's what we're living for.

-Jerms