1/01/2009

Mrs. Jeremy Slager

This is the story of our engagement, as told by my amazing fiance. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! (Well.....not quite ;-)

Love,
Julie

Once upon a time.......a long time ago....or last night.....

Happy New Year just doesn't cut it. Elated New Year? Best New Year ever? (I forgot that it was the New Year I was so excited?) For anyone who hasn't heard, I have stepped out of the single world and into the world of an engaged man. I am Julianna Rubio's fiance. I'm sure you all want to hear the story, so I'll try and make a picture version of it so it feels like you were actually there.

Wednesday Morning--6:45 AM December 31st.
I didn't get much sleep. I had asked Julianna's parents on Monday night, and hadn't thought that I would propose quite so soon. But the night before I decided that this was the day, which meant that I got NO SLEEP. I woke up and drove to Meijers to pick up a bouquet of red roses (because every engagement needs roses). So I was planning on going to work at 8, so I made a card that said, "I love you--Don't make plans after 4:30," left it on her car (scraped the ice off her car), then went home to figure out how to do the rest.


Wednesday Afternoon--12:30 PM December 31st.
Made another card which said, "I still LOVE you--we've had a long week, but I love you even more. You deserve a special night. Wear something casual, something stunning, and something you can stand in the snow in." I dropped it off in her room and went home to finish getting everything ready.



Julianna and I always make dinner together for our dates, so I transformed my room from disaster to romantic restaurant. I had a gold tablecloth down, with red ribbons and flowers and candles and the nicest china out.


Wednesday Evening 4:45 PM December 31st.
Picked Julianna up at her house (she was stunning as promised). We made dinner and I completely surprised her with my room transformation. I left on her plate a card which said, "I will ALWAYS love you." I didn't know if this would hint at my later intentions or not, but she didn't catch on...thankfully. My mom had painted two pictures for us, one of each of us praying, and they were on the table as well. We had a lovely meal, and we were both lost in each others eyes the whole time...(awww).



Wednesday Night 6:30 PM December 31st.
The last part of the date was a surprise. I had put a sled in the back of the car, because Julianna had never been sledding before (!!!). Meanwhile, her best friend was preparing the top of the sledding hill for us, but was running 20 minutes late. She called while we were on our way, and I needed to kill 20 minutes. I remembered that the Jackson Co. Fairgrounds were having a Christmas lights festival, but didn't remember if I had money or if they were still going. Fortunately, it worked out. I didn't know this, but Julie had been dropping hints all break that she wanted to go...did not pick that up. Oops.



Wednesday Night 7:00 PM December 31st.
Off to go sledding! As we pull up to Cascades, Julianna remembered that this was where, 1 1/2 years ago I asked her to be my girlfriend (but I convinced her that we were still going sledding). Kelley (her best friend) had finished setting it all up, and as we came to the top, we saw a circle of candles with all the snow shoveled out and rose petals down in the middle. Julie thought it was a seance, so we went for a closer look. It might have been the bouquet of roses in the middle that tipped her off that this was planned. We walked into the circle together, I pulled out my Ipod and speakers and played Elvis Presley's "I Can't Help Falling in Love." (which is the song we danced to when we first started dating). We danced, enjoying the time we had together. When the song finished, I said, "Julianna Rubio, we started dating 1 1/2 years ago, and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I will always love you. Will you marry me?" Reply: yes...yes of course....)FJKDLJFKDSJ)(@!$U)UFDDXJC(@U$@!$$KNCNDEF:KJE:KXMNCMNF:KEJ:LKFJN:LKJf (gasp) jfeja;3P#Jp;IF:jr;ij;adjf;iehan;kdjf;akj. It was all a blur. We sledded down the hill as a newly engaged couple. This was the face I saw (!?!?!?!)


Wednesday Night--7:45 PM December 31st.
My new fiancee and I went to my brothers apartment to see everyone there. After the screaming and dancing, I pulled out my last surprise. I had compiled all the emails we had sent before we started dating into a book entitled, "Beginnings." At the end of the book it said, "1 Year, 6 Months, and 11 Days later" with a picture of us at our formal dinner underneath it, and pictures of all the cards and roses next to it. And that is how Jeremy Slager and Julianna Rubio became engaged.













































January 1st, 2009 until Death Do Us Part
Eternal bliss.

1 comment:

Melanie Eccles said...

Kevin & I are SOOOO excited for you two! We saw the announcement on facebook this morning and were WAY TOO PUMPED about it! ;) Then we got Julie's call!!! (Thanks so much for thinking of us!) You are in our prayers! Keep in touch!

And way to go, Jeremy!!!!!!!