9/20/2008

Hebrews

Hey all.

All summer....and the end of last year....I realized that I really didn't have a passion for the Word of God. I read it, I understood the basic meaning, I got excited about it sometimes, but I didn't crave it. That was my prayer for the past 6 months or so. "Lord, I want to have eyes that are open to your word, eyes that see all that promises and truths, and a heart that is soft and receptive to put them into practice."

I waited.

When I moved back here to Mississippi I really felt the need to have a consistent time of day for my prayer and reading of the Word. That's not a formula for success, but it really helps me (in case you didn't know, I'm a schedule person....I don't like to admit it, but I function better when I plan out what I need to do and when, it helps me to focus.) So anyway, I've been doing my devotions every morning when I get up (which for me is the best time for my brain to function.....pbj sandwich, Bible and coffee....I LOVE my mornings!!) and it's been SO amazing.

For the last couple of weeks, I've been studying the book of Hebrews. It may be my favorite book of the Bible. The Lord has answered my prayer, and has given me eyes that are open and a heart that is receptive to what he wants me to learn. I love that Hebrews explains WHY Jesus' blood takes away sin. Of course, I believe on faith, but Hebrews makes my faith so much more logical. It explains why Jesus is the ONLY one who can take a away sin. It is a logical step by step proof to the Jewish people on why the new covenant of Jesus blood is better then the old covenant of animal sacrifice.

Not only do I love how logical and sensible Hebrews is, I also am SO excited about how it's changed my perspective. I have a new found awe of what Jesus did for me on the cross. Worship is like a brand new experience, because I understand how special it is to come before the father BOLDLY, instead of being separated by my sin. I've always thought of Jesus as savior and Lord, but now he's showing me how he is also my high priest. This is one of my favorite verses: "Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need." Isn't that awesome?? Jesus doesn't give us grace when we need it just because he knows that we need it, he actually sympathizes and understands what it's like to be human. That puts a whole new spin on God's love for us!! He loves us SO MUCH that he become one of us so that he could understand first hand how we work. Jesus understands what it is to struggle (though he did it without sinning), and so when we struggle, he goes to God on our behalf and brings us grace and mercy in our time of need!! How amazing is that?? No other religion has such an intimately involved God.

The Word is so exciting! I actually enjoy getting up in the mornings now, because I love spending the first part of my day learning about our great God.

1 comment:

Jake Sinko said...

Solid. Flat out truth right there...